ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Warwick High School, a comprehensive high school of 1,650 students in grades 9 through 12, is located in midtown Newport News in a quiet residential area of middle-class homes. The school is located between Jefferson Avenue and Warwick Boulevard, two primary East-West highways running through Newport News.
Warwick High School is the oldest of five high schools in the city. The school originally opened in 1926 as Morrison High School, and became Warwick High School in 1948. The facilities expanded to their present size in 1968.
The 1971 court-ordered busing dramatically changed the nature of Warwick's population and community. Designed to promote a more equitable racial balance in the city's four high schools, the court order changed Warwick from a neighborhood school to one that draws from a wide range of differing demands and remains committed to providing a program of studies and activities sufficiently diversified to meet the needs, special interests, and varying backgrounds of its students. Following the implementation in 1996 of a new magnet school program in Newport News Public Schools, Warwick became the International Baccalaureate Program magnet school.
One of the Top 500 High Schools as reported by the Washington Post and Newsweek magazine.
Top 5% of all high schools in the nation as reported by Newsweek magazine.
The WHS Guidance Department was rated in the top 50 by the Southern Regional Education Board, High Schools That Work.
85% of the WHS graduating class of 2003 went on to pursue a college education grossing $6.6 million dollars in scholarships and grants.
WHS has the highest GPA for Student Athletes in Newport News for the 2nd year in a row.